Support for Students in Establishing a Balance between Child-Rearing and Research or Other Academic Activities
Support for Establishing a Balance between Child-Rearing and Research or Other Academic Activities for the Academic 2021Year at the Graduate School of Human Sciences, Osaka University
The Graduate School of Human Sciences at Osaka University is instituting a scholarship system to support undergraduate and postgraduate students with children so as to allow them to develop a balance between their academic pursuits and childcare.
Undergraduate or postgraduate (both on a Master’s and Doctoral course) students rearing children up to the sixth grade of elementary school. (This includes students who are pregnant at the point of application or whose partner is pregnant.)
2. Scholarship amount and its usage
50,000 yen annually. In cases where there are multiple children for whom the student is eligible to apply, the amount that shall be granted per child after the first one is 10,000 yen. As for the ways in which the scholarships can be used, there are no restrictions. Please consult the website of the Center for Gender Equality Promotion at Osaka University for examples of how you could use this scholarship to achieve balance between your academic work and childcare.
3. Method of application
Please obtain a recommendation from your supervisor or a member of the Working Group for Gender Equality Promotion and send the application forms to the email address below. The person who recommends you will also have to submit a recommendation email to the same email address.
4. Those for whom one of the following applies are, as a rule, ineligible
1. Students who are on leave for more than half of the year for which they are applying
2. Students whose partner is a recipient of this scholarship
3. Students who hold permanent employment and who receive child-support through that employment
4. Students who are separated from their child
5. Others for whom the Working Group decides they are ineligible
5. Students who are granted the scholarship are to submit a report by March of the applicable year. The forms for this report will be distributed at a later point.
6. Where to apply or send inquiries to
The Working Group for Gender Equality Promotion at the Graduate School of Human Sciences email: email@example.com
Please put in the Subject column of your email “Application for Child-Rearing at the GSHS”
Deadline: 18th October (Monday) 2021
After the deadline, the Working Group will hold deliberations and contact will be made with the applicants. The results will be released after November.
Download application form2021 kosodate_shien_app English version.doc